Sunday, November 3, 2013

Safe. Stable. Stale.

I've never been a daring person.

I don't jump off the high dive; I ease in, one toe at a time.  I drive the speed limit.  I stay off-stage when we go to karaoke.  I've never done drugs or paid too much for shoes or got in the car without a map.  I've never gone all in.  I've never put a blue streak in my hair or gotten a tattoo.

I am dependable and careful and responsible.  I do the right thing even when it's not what I want to do.  I say what others want to hear, measuring my words on a Richter scale, calculating risk and damage.  I don't rock the boat; I hand out the life jackets.  I hide behind what if's and should have's and unused wishes.

I wonder if I've lived my life avoiding regrets only to wind up with a soul full of them.

Safe. Stable. Stale.

No comments:

Post a Comment