Sometimes, there isn't enough space, or enough words, to tell all the reasons that you do.
Today is our darling friend, Heather's, birthday. It's a big milestone birthday that I'm probably not allowed to tell you. Not because she feels old but rather I'm worried there's some sort of age limit on the acceptability of fart jokes. I hope not. Dinner conversations will never be as funny again.
So instead, I'm using this space to not only share my words about the wonder of Heather, but I'm also sharing the words of some other friends. And I shall reveal the FORTY reasons we all love her.
1. She likes fart jokes.
2. She cackles when she laughs really hard.
3. I love Heather's dry wit and kind heart. She is so very funny and giving. -- Debi Campbell
4. She is adventurous and has traveled the world.
5. The sarcasm. Oh, the sarcasm.
6. Heather will tackle any challenge without fear.
|Okay. Maybe a little fear.|
7. Heather was the first person that made me feel like part of a team at Nichols. She made team meetings fun, and I loved that she was just this side of crazy. XLR8Rs 4 life, yo! -- Angela Kaker
8. She's a badass nerd.
9. Loyalty. If she's got your back, she's got your back. Always.
10. She's tough. As nails.
11. My first awkward moment with Heather was during a team potluck lunch. I brought deviled eggs, with bacon. I had no idea she ate meat-free! She was gracious, even after she took a bite! oh how she loved our Brain Busters. I so appreciated her sensitive way she motivated or mentored all kids, but she sure had a special way to love on a student even at their hard-to-love moments. -- Annie Garza
12. She's a vegetarian who is cool enough to take you out for a steak dinner.
13. Heather can fix anything. I mean, I can fix anything with duct tape, but she can really, really fix it. Like, for real. -- Me
14. She weighs less when she's drunk. Honest. #Science
15. Heather is not intimidated by head lice, broken wells, or pee in a Gatorade bottle. If you're a teenage boy, and you've done something unbelievably stupid, she will own you.
16. I love that she was always unflappable. No matter what the kid did at camp or how much they were bleeding, Heather would stay calm and take care of the situation. I also love her ability to be a kid.... I think that is why the kids loved her so. -- Denis Cranford
17. One of only two adult that I know, in real life, that can rock some pigtails. With attitude.
18. Her generosity of time, money, and spirit. There is not an hour of the day you cannot call her. There is not a moment she will not be there.
19. Vegetarian or not, she will hunt down the big daddy rat in your shitty camp apartment and feed him to the snake living in the hall closet. Word.
20. She was always so much fun to be around. Her wit and charm were delightful. One of my favorite memories of her is when she was one of the back-up singers with Sally and me (the de la Vida singers), and we used rubber gloves to make our boobs bigger and we used small stones taped to the gloves to make nipples. Heather was game for anything, and we had so much fun. Heather, you are awesome!!! -- Nurse Barbara
21. Heather is apparently unafraid to have big ol' fake boobs with stony nipples.
22. I guarantee that Heather is laughing so hard she is wheezing and searching for her inhaler right now after 20 and 21.
23. She does not know the meaning of "that's a SIPPIN' shot".
24. One of my favorite Heather stories is when I went with the girls to her graduation in Abilene. It was my first introduction to "Blue Tattoo" (an intensely blue-colored schnapps). We did consume some adult beverages that weekend. It was my first experience of partying with people that could be my kids. There are so many wonderful memories of Heather and camp that are too numerous to mention, but I do clearly remember her 30th birthday party when I learned how much Heather loves PINK! Happy Birthday, precious girl. I love and miss you to pieces!!! -- Nurse Sally
25. Checking the after effects of Blue Tattoo is considered an experiment. #science
26. She is a rockstar teacher and coach. She spends hundreds and thousands of hours raising other people's children because she will love the unlovable. She will teach the unteachable. And she manages the unmanageable.
27. She is one hell of a mentor.
28. I love Heather's ability to see the silver lining and do so with the most wicked, yet delightful, sense of humour. -- Jamie Fletcher
29. Whenever I think of Heather, the first thing that comes to mind is her smile. You almost never see her not smiling! She is so encouraging and happy -- she brings light into any room she's in. -- Stephanie Shackelford
30. Heather, you are one of the most loving people I know. Not only are you loving, but you are real! And that is so hard to come by! To let you know just how awesome you are, I created a poem:
Oh Heather, oh Heather,
No matter what the weather
You are always real,
probably the realest person ever
At Mt. Loma or Fossil Hill
Your friends are close like birds of a feather.
Marcus is so cool,
You're raising a trendsetter.
Happy Birthday to you,
stay awesome and cool
And your years will keep getting better and better.
31. She's a fantastic mom. And she didn't let anything stop her from being a mom to someone who really needed her. They save each other every day. And it's amazing.
32. Heather, you are amazing. You have truly influenced me in the kind of teacher I am today. You have the kindest heart, and watching you raise Marcus really inspires me in my everyday life with my kids who need a hero. -- Katie Krambeer
33. I love that Heather because she is so loving and compassionate. She loves animals, special needs children and people in general. I've also always loved her passion for sports... especially soccer. One of my favorite memories of Heather is being able to joke around with her in ways you couldn't with most girls and seeing her face when someone says something that could be taken a few ways and watching her try to contain herself is priceless. I still have the post card she sent me. :) Heather is one of a kind and will always be special to me. -- Ryan Willey
34. She believes that a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste.
35. She suffers no fools. And she does not mind telling you if you're acting like one.
|This. This is the look you'll get, fools.|
36. Heather is crunchy outer shell, soft gooey inside. She is secretly sentimental and delighted by the small things.
37. Heather is one of the smartest people that I know. Yet she doesn't hold that over anyone's head -- unless they are truly stupid. She has no patience for stupid people. However, she has incredible patience with young children. Especially those that are difficult to deal with. I often turned over a challenging child, saying, "You're going to have to deal with him/her. I don't know what to do!" And she's pretty hilarious too. But most of all, I would say she's loyal, and I know that she always has my back. -- LJ
38. Heather is a firecracker! A tiny but mighty spirit with an engaging, devilish smile that instantly makes you want to join her team. Whether it's her sports team, department team, or team of friends -- she's spunky and vivacious, and forever branded in my NJH "Good Stuff" memory bank. -- Angela Stidham
39. She throws a mean set of dice. There's a one-eyed Pit Boss at the Horseshoe Casino and Hotel who can verify this.
40. Heather, you are steadfast. When the winds are wild, you anchor us. When seas are calm, you push us. You steer the ship. You fix the broken parts. You dive in when any of us go overboard. You are the sturdy life jacket, the whimsical umbrella in our cocktail, and the lighthouse guiding us home.
--D, C, and L
Happy Birthday, Heather-Feather. We love you fiercely.