Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Thursday Night Blues

I got the Thursday night blues, I think.

Those nights have been pretty special to me for the last 8 summers.  Our camp's closing campfires were on Thursdays.  We'd have a great camp dance and then head to the point for a huge fire and awards.  No matter how hot it had been that day, there was always a breeze off the lake.  Occasionally, there'd be a fish jump or Big Sam, the camp dog, would bark at absolutely nothing to protect us all.  Each counselor recognized the Broken Arrow winner in his or her cabin.  We recognized the campers and staff of the session.  But mostly it was the sounds of the cicadas buzzing, the fire crackling, and children singing.  That's what I miss most tonight.

I have to admit, I always felt closer to El Tesoro than I did to Camp Carter... except on those nights.

No one could touch a Thursday night at CC.

I miss you guys.

The "not taller than me" fire rule was never obeyed.

Broken Arrow winner
Lighting our candles

Passing the light



One of my favorite campfire moments with Caleb singing.  Still gives me chills.

And the last links are a nod to Jamie Fletcher, King of Begging for More Singing.  These were after our last campfire in 2012, after all the kids had gone back to cabins and we were singing only for the CIT's and ourselves and then later in the office.  None of us had any idea that it would be our very last Thursday night together at Camp Carter.  

Jamie is also known for recording you when you don't realize it -- which is what he was doing that night. Therefore, sometimes things don't sound so great, and you never know what you might have said.  Normally, I'd be mad, but now I'm so glad he did.  It makes me happy to hear our voices together -- even if it's just arguing over keys afterward (like I know anything about singing on key) or the forgetting of words. Big Sam, the camp dog, even makes an appearance in one track. 



2 comments:

  1. Way too early on this summer morning my husband woke up to me singing along to staff medley, "what is that?" He asked? "Camp songs." The most beautiful music I've heard in a really long time. Thank you for sharing your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago, during staff training, Toni had come to do a session on camper behavior. She stayed for the campfire and the three of us sang staff medley. Our counselors just fell in love with it. We felt sort of traitorous afterward, singing it, but it's hard to deny the magic of it. We definitely needed Toni on that night - kept forgetting the words! This summer, 2 of my former CC staff members are working at ET. It makes me so happy that I got to watch them grow up at Carter and then put on their red tie at El Tesoro!

    ReplyDelete