Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Struggle

I'm a fairly well-known procrastinator.  I float from project to project, and I have the attention span of a 2 year-old, racked with Attention Deficit Disorder and shiny objects.

But, I promise, this time is different.  I don't know why, but I've had the worst time trying to get my classroom ready.  Maybe it's just been a long time since I've had to do so much work to even prepare to be in my new room.  There was a lot of cleaning out of not only my room but other rooms.  I still have a book room full of stuff that people had to box up and move because -- guess what -- they don't teach that subject and they don't want your old TAKS passages, people.

Or your unopened 6-pack of V-8 juice, but that's a whole separate tirade.  And I just don't have the energy for a tirade tonight.

Yesterday, I had a minor meltdown when my room became "that room".  You know... "that room" you go to look at so that you can feel better about your own mess because at least your room isn't "THAT room".  It was amusing for the first 3 or 4 people to make that joke.  By the 10th gawker, it wasn't so funny anymore, and some frustration began to leak out of my eyes.  This is not uncommon, but it's still embarrassing.

Not everyone was a looky-loo, though.  I owe a big shout-out to Drury and Stimmel for moving the gigantic bookshelf in my direct path.  That prevented the full onslaught of tears and cuss words as I emptied shelf after shelf of paper, binders, workbooks, and crap.  Seriously.  So.  Much.  Crap.

I worked for a solid 8 hours today, and I still struggled to see the improvements.  I'm sure that after another 4 or 5 hours tomorrow, I'll be happier.  Luckily, this isn't my first rodeo, and I feel like I could teach my class just about anywhere.  So I fully understand the difference between "my classroom is functional" and "my classroom is finished", and I'm okay with "functional".  The good thing is that with 7th graders, they are so overwhelmed by junior high, they won't remember anything day-to-day for about 2 weeks.

I had tweeted earlier that I'd either have "after pics" by 5:00 PM, or I'd be in the fetal position in the corner.  I didn't have any good pics by then, but I also wasn't melted into the carpet either. That's a push in my world.

I did manage to snap this one.  It's the view you get when you lay your head down in despair on my desk.  I thought it was kind of funny.  And appropriate.  You can see a few bits of the crap I still have to sort/dispose of, but please know that behind all that are 600 novels, sorted and shelved and ready to be read and loved.

Afterward, it was a trip to not one -- but two -- craft stores.  And, let me tell you, on the weekend before school starts, the thirst for teacher crafts is real, y'all.  I thought I was going to get in a fist fight with a lady who tried to line jump at the cutting table in the fabric section of Hobby Lobby.

So, the only cure for the day was, of course, good drinks and good friends. Except after one drink and two hours, I was too tired to carry on a simple conversation.  

Getting old is a struggle, and the struggle is real, y'all.  It's so very real.

No comments:

Post a Comment