Tuesday, October 22, 2013

It's a Mystery

I had two 13 year old boys fighting in my classroom.

Before 9:00 AM.

Over a pencil.

Literally... I kid you not... they were fighting over a pencil.  Slap-in-the-back-of-the-head, shove-each-other-before-the-Pledge-is-even-said, cause-a-disruption-and-wreck-each-others-day, "fight".

Over a pencil.  

I do not understand teenage boys.  Even after 17 years of working with them, they are a mystery. I don't understand why they are constantly trying to punch each other in the crotch.  I do not understand why they incessantly draw penis pictures on anything that has a flat surface.  I do not understand how they can punch each other in the mouth, and, one hour later, be best friends again.  And I definitely do not understand how a pencil -- a plain yellow pencil -- is worth a fight and a trip to the office over.

A pencil.

Somebody... anybody... explain.


  

1 comment: